Saturday, November 18, 2006

Sleeping in white

Last night, I realized that when a bag is something I really like, I sleep with it.

After creating this blog the whole afternoon and evening, I crawled into bed (while watching my older son Carlos work on the blog on travel and flying he also made on the same day).

Two days ago, I bought a satchel in off-white. I hesitated a lot before buying it because my sister mustAveabag is coming home in January and bringing some more for our bag-and-wallet stash in Cebu.

But I still had an unused amount in a gift certificate for the Metro Gaisano chain, good for BagHunts that are easy on the eye, hand and pocket.

So while getting my silver wristwatch checked and running, I dawdled around the Ayala branch and then at Colon.

Ayala mall draws many shoppers, which probably explains why most of their good buys are quickly snapped. I saw a nut-colored Secosana shoulder bag, 50-percent off, but big bags are generally workbags.

I wanted this time a bag I could hug, not just hold the stuff I need to make a living.

As BagFortune would have it, at the Colon branch, there was one off-white bag that the saleslady still found in its plastic wrap. That it was also in the BagBargain bin was the second lucky coincidence.

It took me more than half an hour to make up my mind, but I think I never really intended to go without Off-Whitey. The bag is soft, its material resembling grained, butter-soft leather. It has two zipped compartments, lined in cream nylon. There are pockets galore. It can fit a pocketbook. It has two silver discs that give the bag’s front a goggle-eyed, owlish look (I love google because it helps me keep in touch with mustAveabag and my BagRoaming).

And it fit nicely with the remaining amount of my gift certificate at 50-percent off (P449.50). I even was able to get a small coin purse with an old-fashioned twist lock at P109, still in off-white.

I realized Off-whitey and I were meant to be when I ended up in SM City, an hour later. The rack there also had a soft blue version, nice but off-white really does it more for me. The test: I slept with it last night, and it pillowed my dreams!

Maria


No comments: